ITS supports the use of the Respondus Test Software, Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor. Training is available through both Respondus and the SDSU Blackboard Help Staff. To register for Respondus training webinars, go to their site at http://www.respondus.com/products/webinar/; otherwise please click here to contact us.
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a web browser just like Safari, Chrome or Firefox which works with Blackboard to help prevent online test-takers from accessing applications and websites on their computers as well as printing and copying the test while the test is running. LockDown Browser has also proven to be an excellent way to mitigate Blackboard test crashes by preventing resizing a browser window, refreshing the page, switching to another application, etc. Students are locked into the test until they submit it for grading. If the test crashes, a message is usually entered into the Respondus dashboard. Respondus hosts several videos on faculty and students use of LockDown Browser.
How do students use Respondus LockDown Browser?
- Download the SDSU-specific version of the LockDown Browser and install on your computer.
- When you take a test using LockDown Browser, choose either Blackboard or Canvas depending on which system your course is using.
How do faculty use Faculty Respondus LockDown Browser?
- Make sure all of your test options are finished.
- Go to your course => Control Panel => Respondus LockDown Browser
- Your tests will be listed in the new window. Find your test and modify the settings to require LockDown Browser.
- Do NOT make any changes to your test after you have required Respondus LockDown Browser or it may prevent students from taking the test.
Respondus Monitor is a companion to LockDown Browser that enables institutions to protect the integrity of non-proctored, online exams by using students’ webcams to record them while they take a test. The videos are then available for viewing within Blackboard. Monitor is currently being tested at SDSU and is only available to our beta testers. See http://www.respondus.com/products/monitor/ for more info.
Respondus Test Software
Respondus Test Software is a powerful PC-based tool for managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard or Canvas. Exams can be created offline using Microsoft Word or other text editors. Questions can be imported from many textbook publishers. Respondus can save you hours whether you create simple or complex exams. Faculty may acquire the software or an updated license by contacting us. All of the workstations in the Faculty Instructional Technology Center
have Respondus installed. All of the workstations in the Faculty Instructional Technology Center have Respondus installed. Get started by reviewing the Respondus Test software site.