More than just an attendance checker, iClicker can be used for knowledge checks, gathering opinions, conversation starters, and other active learning. Students who are reluctant to raise their hand or participate in class are provided with an alternative means of having a voice in class.
Once purchased, an iClicker hand held device is good for any class using iClickers at SDSU. REEF, the mobile version of iClicker, costs less than $10 per semester and can be used in an infinite number of classes.
To schedule training and obtain iClicker equipment, please contact us.
Spring 2018 iClicker Updates
- Please notify the Bookstore of your intention to use iClicker / Reef early so that they can include it in the Student course requirements.
- SDSU will continue to support ONLY iClicker solutions through 2018. We have no immediate plans to switch to any other provider. We recommend faculty continue to use the same traditional iClicker Classic.
- The latest version of the Mac and PC software including the file needed to integrate iClicker with the Blackboard Grade Center, as well as syllabus language, is available for download via Google Drive.
- Just before every Fall semester, we will delete all student iClicker registrations due to the high number of remotes listed to multiple students. Students will need to re-register their remotes every semester from now on.
- Looking for interesting ways to use clickers? Try this question and activity resource guide.
Instructional Technology Services (ITS) supports only Macmillan audience response systems – iClicker handheld remotes, Reef students app, and iClicker Cloud for faculty. If you are using another audience response system, please check with your account representative for assistance.
The following guides will help you setup, run, grade, and answer questions about these softwares.
- Faculty iClicker Classic (handhelds) Quick Start Guide (8 pages, PDF)
- Faculty In-Class Checklist (1 page, PDF)
- Faculty iClicker Cloud Quick Start Guide (students use Reef or handhelds)
- Faculty iClicker Cloud FAQ
- Faculty iClicker Classic Quick Start Guide
- Faculty iClicker Classic FAQ
- Student FAQ
- iClicker Classic: Instructor Troubleshooting
Videos of various procedures including creating a course, finding your SSO Key and more can be found on our SDSU ITS YouTube playlist
Features and Benefits
- iClicker can be used to actively engage students in a variety of higher level learning activities.
- iClicker is integrated with the Blackboard Learning Management System.; i.e. grades can easily be uploaded into the Grade Center.
- iClicker generates reports showing how students answered each question. And iClicker scores can be exported to Excel for additional manual grade manipulation.
Getting Started Questions
How do I run an iClicker session? – Once software is configured, simply press the “A” button on the remote or the start arrow on the session polling toolbar.
How do I get the list of students in my class into iClicker? – Once your course is set up, click on “Gradebook” and then “Sync Roster” to obtain a list of students; the list tells you whether each student has a registered a clicker.
How do I upload grades to Blackboard? – Enter your iClicker course, click “Gradebook” and then “Sync Score” to upload grades.