Dr. James Frazee
Chief Academic Technology Officer
Associate Vice President
James’ ITS Blog Posts
Dr. James P. Frazee is the Chief Academic Technology Officer and Associate Vice President for Instructional Technology at San Diego State University. He has published and presented widely on the subjects of obtaining, managing and leveraging large state and federal educational technology grants, designing faculty professional development programs, strategic technology and campus space planning, and using technology to push curriculum reform. In 2015, Dr. Frazee was honored with the Center for Digital Education Top 30 Technologists, Transformers and Trailblazers Award. In 2016, he received San Diego State University’s President’s Leadership Fund Faculty & Staff Excellence Award “in recognition of innovative, forward-thinking and community-based work.” In 2018 Frazee, took home the Gold Award in the category of “Technology Supporting Innovation in Teaching and Research” at the California State University (CSU) system’s annual technology conference. Later in 2018, Frazee was honored with the Reimagine Education Silver Award in Virtual/Augmented Reality – the international competition is billed as the “Oscars for Higher Education.” More recently, he was invited to serve on the EDUCAUSE 2019 Horizon Report Expert Panel. He credits an impressive team of staff and faculty fellows for these accolades, and for the steady rise of ITS as an internationally recognized leader and national powerhouse.
B.A. (honors), Communications/Economics – University of San Diego (USD)
M.Ed. (honors), Educational Technology – San Diego State University (SDSU)
Ed.D. (honors), Educational Technology – SDSU/USD (Joint Doctorate)
Formerly a year-round, permanent lifeguard for the City of San Diego’s Fire & Life Safety Services, James is still saving lives as a member of the National Ski Patrol in Big Bear, CA (at Snow Summit).
Affiliations and Publications
- Directors of Educational Technology / California Higher Education (DET/CHE)
Incomplete list of Invited and Relevant Presentations and Papers:
- Frazee, J., Dodge, B. (2017, 9-11 August). An Observation Protocol for Learning Glass Use in Active Learning Environments. Paper presented at International Forum on Active Learning Classrooms, Minneapolis, MN.
- Guarcello, M., Frazee, J. Schellenberg, S. Levine, R., Laumakis, M., Beemer, J. (2017) Balancing Student Success: Assessing Supplemental Instruction through Coarsened Exact Matching. Special issue of “Big Data in Higher Education: Research Methods and Analytics Supporting the Learning Journey”. Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Learning (TKNL).
- Spoon, K., Beemer, J., Whitmer, J.C., Fan, J., Frazee, J. P., Stronach, J., Bohonak, A. J., and Levine, R. A. (2016). Random Forests for Evaluating Pedagogy and Informing Personalized Learning. Journal of Educational Data Mining 8(2), 20-50.
- Acting on Actionable Intelligence: A Learning Analytics Methodlogy for Student Success Efficacy Studies, NSF 1633130 BIGDATA: IA, 2016-2019.
- Frazee, J. (2016) From Shower Glass to Learning Glass: Academic Technology that Won’t Break the Bank. Presentation for the Next Generation Learning Spaces Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Frazee, J. Whitmer, J. & Dodge, B. (2015). Because Knowing is Not Enough: Examining Interventions Powered by Learning Analytics. Presentation for Educause Learning Initiative (ELI) 2015 Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA.
- Dodge, B. J., Whitmer, J., Frazee, J. P., Hauze, S. (2015, 16-20 March). Improving undergraduate student achievement in large blended courses through data-driven interventions. Paper presented at Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK15), Poughkeepsie, NY.
- Stephens, L., Moreau, J., Frazee, J., Marler, M. (October 2014) Using FLEXspace to Streamline Learning Space Design & Renovation. EDUCAUSE Annual International Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Frazee, J. (2014). On-Demand Faculty Development: A New Model. Keynote Presentation for National Association of Branch Campus Administrators (NABCA) 2014 Annual Conference, Newport Beach, CA.
- Frazee, J., Hughes, K., Frazee, R. (2014). “Examining Learning Research Studios at San Diego State University.” International Conference on Intelligent Environments, Shanghai, China. 2014 IEEE (978-1-4799-2947-4/14)
- Nguyen, F. & Frazee, J. (2009) Strategic Instructional Technology Planning in Higher Education. Performance Improvement Journal 48(7), 31-40.
- Frazee, J., Beale, E., Greene, R. & Julius, J. (2008). “Smart” Classrooms: An IQ Shift College & University Media Review Volume 12, Number 2.
- Bober, M., Frazee, J., & Laumakis, M. (2008, April). A formative evaluation framework to facilitate development of blended, hybrid, and distance education courses. Presentation at the 11th CSU Regional Symposium on University Teaching, Pomona, CA.
- Frazee, J. (2004). WebQuest Design Strategies: A Case Study Measuring the Effect of the Jigsaw Method on Students’ Personal Agency Beliefs, Engagement, and Learning. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, San Diego State University/University of San Diego.
- Frazee, J., Frazee, R. V., & Sharpe, D. (2003). Begin with the end (user) in mind: Planning for the San Diego State University Campus Portal. In A. Jafari & M. Sheehan (Eds.), Designing Portals: Opportunities and Challenges. Hershey: Information Science Publishing.
- Frazee, J. (2001). Charting a Smooth Course for Portal Development. EDUCAUSE Quarterly Volume 24, Number 3. (Winner of the 2002 EDUCAUSE Quarterly Contribution of the Year Award)
- Frazee, J. & Nguyen, F. (2009). A Case Study of Strategic Technology Planning in Higher Education. Technology in Education International Conference, Ontario, CA.
- Frazee, J. (2008). Strategic Instructional Technology Planning in Higher Education: A Case Study. Directors of Educational Technology California Higher Education 2008 Conference, Sacramento, CA.
- Frazee, J. & Julius, J. (2007). Designing Technology-Rich Learning Environments: What’s on the Horizon? National Institute of Health Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award (IRACDA) Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Cattier, A., Frazee, J., & Smith, R. (2007) Design and Implementation of New Learning Spaces. Campus Technology Winter 2007 Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Bober, M., Frazee, J., Julius, J., & Laumakis, M. (2007). Meeting Online or Face-to-Face in High Enrollment, Introductory Courses: What’s the Right Blend? Poster Presentation at EDUCAUSE Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Frazee, J. (2006). Strategies for Success in Growing and Managing Adoption of the Learning Management System. Blackboard World International Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Frazee, J. & Frazee, R. V. (2003). Portal Development: Managing Change through Stakeholder Involvement. Institutional Strategy in a Down Economy Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Frazee, J. & Bober, M. (2003). Formative Evaluation of Faculty Teaching: Student Perceptions of a Mid-semester Feedback System. International AECT Conference, Anaheim, CA
- Frazee, J. & Bober, M. (2003). Implementing a Student Feedback System: Implications for Pedagogical Growth. International Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) Conference, Albuquerque, NM
- Halpin, J., Lynch, E. & Frazee, J. (1998). Confounding Contextual Issues When Evaluating the Classroom Impact of Technology Integration in Middle, Junior High, and High School Classes Presentation at American Educational Research Association Conference (AERA) San Diego, CA.
- Frazee, J. (1998). Advancing Curriculum through Technology (ACT Now!) Keynote Address at Microcomputers in Education Conference (MEC), Arizona State University, AZ.
- Frazee, J. (1997). ACT Now! (U.S. Department of Education Challenge Grant #R303A60457) Congressional Presentation, Washington D.C.