Dr. James Frazee
Chief Academic Technology Officer
Associate Vice President
James’ ITS Blog Posts
Dr. James P. Frazee serves as the Chief Academic Technology Officer and Associate Vice President for Learning Technologies and Environments at San Diego State. A unit within the IT Division, Learning Technologies and Environments (LTE) provides vision and leadership to support excellence in teaching and learning through active learning environments, pedagogical research, and learner-centered technologies. Partnerships with faculty, academic leaders and campus stakeholders, as well regional, national and international higher education and industry partners, enable innovation and documentation of results focusing on improving student success. LTE enhances and facilitates the campus IT user experience through four main areas Academic Technology Research and Strategic Initiatives, the Accessible Technology Initiative, Instructional Technology Services, and IT User Services.
B.A. (honors), Communications/Economics – University of San Diego (USD)
M.Ed. (honors), Educational Technology – San Diego State University (SDSU)
Ed.D. (honors), Educational Technology – SDSU/USD (Joint Doctorate)
Formerly a year-round, permanent lifeguard for the City of San Diego’s Fire & Life Safety Services, James is still saving lives as a member of the National Ski Patrol in Big Bear, CA (at Snow Summit).
Affiliations and Publications
- Directors of Educational Technology / California Higher Education (DET/CHE)
Incomplete list of Invited and Relevant Presentations and Papers:
- Frazee, J., Dodge, B. (2017, 9-11 August). An Observation Protocol for Learning Glass Use in Active Learning Environments. Paper presented at International Forum on Active Learning Classrooms, Minneapolis, MN.
- Guarcello, M., Frazee, J. Schellenberg, S. Levine, R., Laumakis, M., Beemer, J. (2017) Balancing Student Success: Assessing Supplemental Instruction through Coarsened Exact Matching. Special issue of “Big Data in Higher Education: Research Methods and Analytics Supporting the Learning Journey”. Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Learning (TKNL).
- Spoon, K., Beemer, J., Whitmer, J.C., Fan, J., Frazee, J. P., Stronach, J., Bohonak, A. J., and Levine, R. A. (2016). Random Forests for Evaluating Pedagogy and Informing Personalized Learning. Journal of Educational Data Mining 8(2), 20-50.
- Acting on Actionable Intelligence: A Learning Analytics Methodlogy for Student Success Efficacy Studies, NSF 1633130 BIGDATA: IA, 2016-2019.
- Frazee, J. (2016) From Shower Glass to Learning Glass: Academic Technology that Won’t Break the Bank. Presentation for the Next Generation Learning Spaces Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Frazee, J. Whitmer, J. & Dodge, B. (2015). Because Knowing is Not Enough: Examining Interventions Powered by Learning Analytics. Presentation for Educause Learning Initiative (ELI) 2015 Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA.
- Dodge, B. J., Whitmer, J., Frazee, J. P., Hauze, S. (2015, 16-20 March). Improving undergraduate student achievement in large blended courses through data-driven interventions. Paper presented at Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK15), Poughkeepsie, NY.
- Stephens, L., Moreau, J., Frazee, J., Marler, M. (October 2014) Using FLEXspace to Streamline Learning Space Design & Renovation. EDUCAUSE Annual International Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Frazee, J. (2014). On-Demand Faculty Development: A New Model. Keynote Presentation for National Association of Branch Campus Administrators (NABCA) 2014 Annual Conference, Newport Beach, CA.
- Frazee, J., Hughes, K., Frazee, R. (2014). “Examining Learning Research Studios at San Diego State University.” International Conference on Intelligent Environments, Shanghai, China. 2014 IEEE (978-1-4799-2947-4/14)
- Nguyen, F. & Frazee, J. (2009) Strategic Instructional Technology Planning in Higher Education. Performance Improvement Journal 48(7), 31-40.
- Frazee, J., Beale, E., Greene, R. & Julius, J. (2008). “Smart” Classrooms: An IQ Shift College & University Media Review Volume 12, Number 2.
- Bober, M., Frazee, J., & Laumakis, M. (2008, April). A formative evaluation framework to facilitate development of blended, hybrid, and distance education courses. Presentation at the 11th CSU Regional Symposium on University Teaching, Pomona, CA.
- Frazee, J. (2004). WebQuest Design Strategies: A Case Study Measuring the Effect of the Jigsaw Method on Students’ Personal Agency Beliefs, Engagement, and Learning. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, San Diego State University/University of San Diego.
- Frazee, J., Frazee, R. V., & Sharpe, D. (2003). Begin with the end (user) in mind: Planning for the San Diego State University Campus Portal. In A. Jafari & M. Sheehan (Eds.), Designing Portals: Opportunities and Challenges. Hershey: Information Science Publishing.
- Frazee, J. (2001). Charting a Smooth Course for Portal Development. EDUCAUSE Quarterly Volume 24, Number 3. (Winner of the 2002 EDUCAUSE Quarterly Contribution of the Year Award)
- Frazee, J. & Nguyen, F. (2009). A Case Study of Strategic Technology Planning in Higher Education. Technology in Education International Conference, Ontario, CA.
- Frazee, J. (2008). Strategic Instructional Technology Planning in Higher Education: A Case Study. Directors of Educational Technology California Higher Education 2008 Conference, Sacramento, CA.
- Frazee, J. & Julius, J. (2007). Designing Technology-Rich Learning Environments: What’s on the Horizon? National Institute of Health Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award (IRACDA) Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Cattier, A., Frazee, J., & Smith, R. (2007) Design and Implementation of New Learning Spaces. Campus Technology Winter 2007 Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Bober, M., Frazee, J., Julius, J., & Laumakis, M. (2007). Meeting Online or Face-to-Face in High Enrollment, Introductory Courses: What’s the Right Blend? Poster Presentation at EDUCAUSE Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Frazee, J. (2006). Strategies for Success in Growing and Managing Adoption of the Learning Management System. Blackboard World International Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Frazee, J. & Frazee, R. V. (2003). Portal Development: Managing Change through Stakeholder Involvement. Institutional Strategy in a Down Economy Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Frazee, J. & Bober, M. (2003). Formative Evaluation of Faculty Teaching: Student Perceptions of a Mid-semester Feedback System. International AECT Conference, Anaheim, CA
- Frazee, J. & Bober, M. (2003). Implementing a Student Feedback System: Implications for Pedagogical Growth. International Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) Conference, Albuquerque, NM
- Halpin, J., Lynch, E. & Frazee, J. (1998). Confounding Contextual Issues When Evaluating the Classroom Impact of Technology Integration in Middle, Junior High, and High School Classes Presentation at American Educational Research Association Conference (AERA) San Diego, CA.
- Frazee, J. (1998). Advancing Curriculum through Technology (ACT Now!) Keynote Address at Microcomputers in Education Conference (MEC), Arizona State University, AZ.
- Frazee, J. (1997). ACT Now! (U.S. Department of Education Challenge Grant #R303A60457) Congressional Presentation, Washington D.C.