As an ITS Faculty Fellow, Katie works on the implementation of instructional technologies and pedagogical strategies through participation in the Course Design Institute program, with a specialized focus on supporting faculty across campus on ways to implement Turnitin in face-to-face, hybrid, and fully online courses. She is also actively involved in promoting the Learning Research Studios’ technology-enhanced classrooms to deliver interactive teaching and learning, and currently organizes a professional community of faculty teaching in these spaces on campus.
Katie has also incorporated technology-enhanced pedagogy into her RWS courses, serving as Coordinator of the online SDSU Freshman Academic Success Track program, for which she has designed courses and trained instructors, and teaching RWS 305W online for several summers. In Fall 2015, she successfully piloted this course as a regular semester online offering, and will participate in the 2016-17 CSU Proven Course Redesign with Technology program to further develop it.
Master of Arts in English, San Diego State University
Emphasis in Rhetoric and the Teaching of Writing
Bachelor of Arts in Literature/Writing, University of California, San Diego
Katie loves food and wine and has been working on writing a cookbook for over 30 years. Maybe someday she will finish it.
Affiliations and Publications
- CSU Proven Course Redesign with Technology, 2016-17.
- CSU Summer Institute: “Building a Better Baccalaureate,” California State University Institute for Teaching and Learning, Long Beach, CA, 2013.
- People, Information and Communication Technologies (pICT) Fellowship Program, funded by Qualcomm, Inc., and administered by SDSU, 2005.
- Dodge, Bernie, Katie Dunigan Hughes, and James P. Frazee. “Contextual Influences on Student Perceptions of Social Environments in Active Learning Classrooms.” International Forum on Active Learning Classrooms, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2019.
- Frazee, James P., Katie Dunigan Hughes, and Rebecca V. Frazee. “Examining Learning Research Studios at San Diego State University.” International Conference on Intelligent Environments, Shanghai, China. 2014 IEEE (978-1-4799-2947-4/14)