Connected Classroom technology enables instructors to record and stream their class sessions as well as make them available to students via the password-protected learning management system. The recording and streaming capabilities help to address seating capacity due to social distancing requirements. In addition, the added technology provides greater equity to at-risk students through the synchronous streaming as well as asynchronous capture of course content.
Connected Classrooms functionality includes both the ability to use Zoom synchronously (Zoom Ready Rooms) as well as capture course content via the automated Mediasite capture system (Automated Capture Rooms) as an additional functionality for select classrooms.
Features and Benefits
Zoom Ready Rooms
- Classroom podiums are equipped with both Mac and Windows computers (standardized with Zoom software) to give instructors the freedom and flexibility to teach in a consistent manner across any of our learning environments
- A ceiling mounted, hands-free microphone automatically captures instructor speech directly into both the Mac and Windows computer
- A ceiling mounted, pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) camera captures instructor video directly into both the Mac and Windows computer
- The camera can be adjusted using one of four presets, or manually via the touch panel control system (if applicable) or via an included in-room remote
- A ceiling mounted document camera captures any content presented via the document camera table/drawer and can be shared as content from a second camera on both the Mac and Windows computer
- Using the installed Zoom software, instructors can choose to Zoom synchronously and/or capture the course content using Zoom’s recording feature and upload the URL link anywhere
Mediasite Automated Capture Rooms
- These rooms have all of the features of Zoom Ready Rooms
- Instructors are able to capture content from any source available within the podium
- Recordings are automatically scheduled, started/stopped, and securely uploaded to the learning management system for enrolled students to view at their own pace
- Automated capture reduces the workload and allow instructors to focus on content, rather than setup and delivery
- You teach your class as always, Mediasite captures and produces the finished video for you
- Record content for students to listen outside of class, and free up classroom time for discussion
Need Help with Zoom in Your Classroom?
ITS has a team of Technology Student Assistants (TSAs) who provide support for faculty in Connected Classrooms through consultation services, training, and face-to-face support for Zoom. Working under the supervision of the TSA Coordinator, Nathan Bowser, these students are available during our normal hours of operation to provide in-classroom Zoom support.
- Configure Connected Classroom mic/camera and podium equipment
- Setup and/or review meeting settings or breakout rooms prior to class
- Create and assign breakout rooms
- Help with audio or video issues
- Moderate chat and polling
- Record sessions
- Manage breakout rooms
IMPORTANT: TSAs are not authorized to proctor or grade exams, assignments, or quizzes.
If you would like to sign up for this type of assistance, please send us a ServiceNow request, and we will get back to you right away.
Getting Started Questions
What types of technologies are in my classroom? – Classrooms contain an instructor podium with built-in Mac and Windows computers, laptop connectivity, DVD/Blu-ray player and document camera; large lecture halls also contain voice projection equipment. Classrooms may vary, however, so for an accurate list of the technology available in your assigned room please refer to our Classroom List, or contact the ITS Learning Environments help desk at extension x45691).
How do I learn how to use the technology? – ITS offers an online Classroom Training Course, as well as virtual live trainings throughout the year. Please check the Classroom Trainings page to see more information. In addition, you may request help from a Technology Student Assistant (TSA) via ServiceNow.
If I need help during my class, who should I call? – All classrooms are equipped with a telephone (typically located near the instructor podium) as well as signage containing the Learning Environments help desk phone number (45691). ITS staff are available to assist you from 7:30 am-7:30 pm, Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 am – 4:00 pm on Friday.