Dr. Maureen Guarcello
Research, Analytics,and Communications Coordinator
Maureen’s ITS Blog Posts
- SDSU’s VITaL Initiative Takes Home Silver at 2018 Reimagine Education Conference
- SDSU’s VITaL Takes Home the Gold at the CSU Tech Conference
- SDSU Informs Ed Tech Advances Abroad
- Students Helping Students Survive and Thrive in Challenging Courses
- Supporting Our Students’ Success Before It’s Too Late
Dr. Maureen A. Guarcello has more than 15 years of higher education experience in academic
and external affairs. Her research focuses upon the ways predictive and learning analytics
inform student success interventions and higher education policy. Before joining San Diego
State University, Maureen was a full scholar and graduate research assistant at the University of
San Diego’s Mobile Technology Learning Center and in the Department of Leadership Studies.
In 2018, Maureen received the University of Missouri-Kansas City’s Outstanding Supplemental
Instruction Research Award for her work on, Balancing Student Success: Assessing
Supplemental Instruction through Coarsened Exact Matching. The publication, conducted with
SDSU colleagues, recognizes the presence of selection bias in student success interventions,
and applied a method to reduce bias in the data, ultimately producing a more accurate
measure of student support in high challenge courses at SDSU.
Her career has taken Maureen from CSU Long Beach, to the University of Hawaii, UC San Diego,
and ultimately to San Diego State University, where she partners with faculty, administrators,
and students, developing timely and effective programs to help students succeed in high
challenge courses. In addition to student success initiatives, Maureen measures the use and
efficacy of instructional technologies in the classroom.
B.A., Communication Studies/Marketing – California State University, Long Beach (CSULB)
M.A., Nonprofit Leadership and Marketing – University of San Diego (USD)
Ph.D., Educational Leadership – University of San Diego (USD)
When she is not geeking out on data and technology, Maureen runs half marathons, attends as
many concerts and festivals as possible, and she is an unapologetic San Francisco Giants fan.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Certified Nonprofit Professional, Nonprofit Leadership Alliance
- Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations (ADHO)
Select Papers & Publications
- Guarcello, M.A., Beemer, J., Frazee, J.P., Laumakis, M., Levine, R., & Schellenberg, S.A. (2017).
Balancing student success: Assessing Supplemental Instruction through coarsened exact
matching. Technology, Knowledge, and Learning, 22, 335-352.
- Bakken, R., Dobbs, J., Guarcello, M.A. (2017). How hard data inform soft skills: The impact of
technology and leadership development in a digital world. International Military Testing
- Guarcello, M.A. (2015). Blended learning and bottlenecks in the California State University
System: An empirical look at the importance of student demographic and performance
- Guarcello, M.A. (2013). Leadership and technology. In Wibbeke, E.S., & McArthur, S. (Authors).
Global Business Leadership 2nd Edition. London: Routledge.
- Guarcello, M.A, Schellenberg, S., Walker, S., Vang, M.K. (2017). Supplemental Instruction: A
catalyst for STEM success across the California State University System. Workshop, American
Association for Colleges and Universities Transforming STEM Higher Education Conference, San
- Guarcello, M.A., Rowe, D.J., Pastor, M., Fernandez, K., & Cirullo, G. (2017). Riding the data
wave: Using predictive analytics and LMS data to support student success in the California State
University. Panel presentation, Blackboard World, New Orleans, LA.
- Guarcello, M.A., Rowe, D.J., Pastor, M., Lipp, J., Roderick, A., & Bayard, J.P. (2017). LMS
Learning data to develop an early warning system: Insights from four CSU campuses. Panel
presentation, Directors of Educational Technology, California Higher Education (DET/CHE)
Conference, Costa Mesa, CA.
- Frazee, J.P., Whitmer, J., & Guarcello, M.A. (2016). Applying learning analytics at scale for
student success. Panel presentation at the Online Teaching Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Guarcello, M.A. (2016). Using learning analytics to inform interventions in a historically
challenging course at San Diego State University. Session presentation at the Supplemental
Instruction International Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Guarcello, M.A. (2016). Digital disparity in higher education: Using learning analytics to predict
student success and persistence. Roundtable presentation at the American Education Research
Association Conference (AERA), Washington, D.C.