Dr. Sean Hauze
Director – Instructional Design & Academic Media
Sean’s ITS Blog Posts
- EDUCAUSE 2019 Horizon Report features SDSU VITaL Initiative
- VITaL: The Future of Immersive Learning at SDSU
- ITS Faculty Fellow Sim Baweja to Host IMAGINE Event
- ITS Knowledge Share: ITS & Virtual Reality
- Introducing Zoom: Web Conferencing that Delivers Happiness to Users
- Introducing Zoom – New SDSU Web Conferencing Tool
- Extending Live Lectures to Mobile Devices
Dr. Sean Hauze is Director of Instructional Technology Services at San Diego State University, where he provides operational leadership and direction for applications, initiatives, infrastructure, training and support services across the broad spectrum of instructional technology functions. Under the leadership of the Chief Academic Technology Officer (CATO), he provides leadership in planning and policy related to curriculum development, online learning, and other instructional technology and infrastructure initiatives that facilitate achievement of SDSU’s strategic goals. Sean builds partnerships among academic support units to work collaboratively toward achievement of institutional goals that can be addressed through instructional and information technology.
Sean also teaches doctoral-level research methods and evaluation for the Department of Educational Leadership at San Diego State University. Previously, Sean was Technology Director for The Grauer School in Encinitas, California, and 3D Data Specialist for Google.
Sean received his Ph.D. from the Claremont Graduate University (CGU)/San Diego State University (SDSU) Joint Doctoral Program in Education, with a focus in Higher Education/Student Affairs. Sean also completed a M.Ed. in Educational Technology at SDSU, and his B.S. in Architecture at University of Colorado, Boulder. Sean collaborates on a variety of grant projects, including through his role as co-PI for the STEM Guitar Project (NSF Award #1700531).
B.S., Architecture – University of Colorado Boulder (CU)
M.Ed., Educational Technology – San Diego State University (SDSU)
Ph.D., Education – Claremont Graduate University (CGU)/San Diego State University (SDSU) – Joint Doctorate
Sean’s passion for travel has taken him to over 50 countries.
Affiliations and Publications
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- World Organization of Webmasters (WOW)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
- International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI)
- LEAD with GUITARS in STEM (NSF Award #1304405)
- The High School STEM Teacher Synergistic Institute (NSF Award #1003048)
- Hauze, S., Marshall, J., & Frazee, J. (In press). Virtual reality-based high fidelity simulations. Routledge Encyclopedia of Education, Routledge.
- Marshall, J., Hauze, S., & Frazee, J. (In press). Increasing best practice applications of technology in high demand courses. Routledge Encyclopedia of Education, Routledge.
- Tunur, T., Hauze, S. W., Stuhr, P. T., & Frazee, J. P. (2020). The Impact of XR-Immersive Labs on Student Motivation to Learn Kinesiology. Proceedings of Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN) 2020 Conference.
- Hauze, S. & Marshall, J. (In press). Validation of the instructional materials motivation survey: Measuring student motivation to learn via mixed reality nursing education simulation. International Journal on e-Learning. [Acceptance rate: 10-19%. h5-index: 38.]
- Hauze, S. & Frazee, J. (2019). Virtual Immersive Teaching and Learning: How Immersive Technology is Shaping the Way Students Learn. Proceedings of EdMedia + Innovate Learning (pp. 1445-1450). Amsterdam, Netherlands: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Hauze, S., Hoyt, H., Marshall, J., Frazee, J., & Greiner, P. (2018) An Evaluation of Nursing Student Motivation to Learn through Holographic Mixed Reality Simulation. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering (TALE) Proceedings. IEEE.
- Hauze, S. & Marshall, J. (2018). Validation of the Instructional Materials Motivation Survey: Measuring Student Motivation to Learn via Mixed Reality Nursing Education Simulation. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 576-586). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 2, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/185012/.
- Hauze, S. & French, D. (2018) Predictors of Success in Applied STEM Education through Guitar Building. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC) Proceedings. IEEE.
- Hauze, S., & French, D. (2017). Technology-supported science instruction through integrated STEM guitar building: The case for STEM and non-STEM instructor success. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 17(4), 483-503.
- Marshall, J., Hauze, S., Denman, P., Frazee, J. & Laumakis, M. (2017). An analysis of online course ratings using the community of inquiry theoretical framework, following instructor participation in San Diego State University’s Course Design Institute. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 26(3), 249–269. Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Hauze, S., French, D., Castañeda-Emenaker, I., French, M., & Singer, T. (2017). Quantifying K-12 and College Student Learning Outcomes of STEM Guitar Building. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC) Proceedings. IEEE.
- Hauze, S., Lepe, M. D. E., & Olmstead, W. (2016). A Comparison of Mobile Learning Platforms in Teaching: Marriott’s China Hospitalized ity Education Initiative. Intelligent Environments 2016, 21, 227–237. https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-61499-690-3-227
- Marshall, J., Hauze, S., Denman, P., Frazee, J., & Laumakis, M. (2016). An Analysis of Online Course Ratings using the Community of Inquiry Theoretical Framework, Following Instructor Participation in San Diego State University’s Course Design Institute. Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2016, 954–967. Retrieved from http://www.learntechlib.org/p/173063
- McNeely, J., Wang, M., & Hauze, S. (2016). Addressing cultural motivation in global education and training. International Journal of Education and Learning Systems, 1, 169–175
- Wang, M., Hauze, S., Ng, J., & Olmstead, W. (2014). An Exploration of Intelligent Learning (iLearning) Systems. 2014 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering (TALE), 327–332