ITS Blog and News
A Message from the ITS Director
Hello and welcome to San Diego State University's Instructional Technology Services (ITS)! As the campus Senior Academic Technology Officer and Director of ITS, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your participation in our surveys and our face-to-face and virtual workshops and events.
Since 1946 we have served as a catalyst to foster new uses of technologies in the service of teaching and learning. The evolving landscape of physical and virtual learning environments, and increasing demand for significant change from policy-makers and campus stakeholders are revitalizing how we support teaching and learning. To this end, we are expanding our team of instructional designers here at ITS and we have some other exciting plans ahead:
- Faculty Fellows Expansion. We are expanding the ITS Faculty Fellows network, and currently have faculty from four of the seven colleges on campus. This fall, we will also welcome a visiting scholar from China (Junli Li, from Shanghai University) who will be ITS’ first international Faculty Fellow. We plan to recruit three additional faculty fellows for the 2014/2015 academic year so that all colleges are represented. The ITS Faculty Fellows extend formal collaborations between colleges and ITS to further a campus-wide approach to the high quality design, development, support, and delivery of face-to-face as well as hybrid/online courses, certificates, programs, and degrees. The Fellows serve for an academic year as an example, resource, and mentor for their colleagues, and will enable ITS staff to gain a better sense of faculty and student needs by creating a new channel of communication. These faculty champions attend ITS workshops and events with the expectation that they will implement what they’ve learned in their teaching, and share results with their peers.
- More Student Assistants and LDT Collaboration. We are bringing on more student assistants and teaming up with the Learning Design and Technology (formerly Educational Technology) Department to partner with advanced graduate students on special projects such as the 2014 Faculty Instructional Technology Services Support Survey.
- Events and Luncheons. We will continue our popular Lunch and Learn gatherings with the Center for Teaching & Learning, and the theme for the ITS track this year is "connected learning" featuring faculty stories and examples of flipping the classroom, the world of MOOCs, and new student-centered, collaboration-minded features and functionality coming soon with our learning management system (Blackboard).
- Find us on Social Media. We have launched the ITS YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/SDSUITS and will be expanding our social media presence via Facebook and Twitter later this year.
The bottom line -- we are here to help!
Please let me know what you think about our services and how we can help you in meeting your teaching goals and plans. I am very interested in hearing your comments and feedback. Drop me a line at the email address here: email@example.com
I look forward to hearing from you!
Senior Academic Technology Officer and Director of ITS
Fall 2013 Training: Blackboard, Respondus, Collaborate, and more!
It's that time of year again...
and in response, we are offering a new, improved set of workshops on a variety of topics including:
- Blackboard Basics
- Collaborate Web Conferencing
- Blackboard Grade Center
- Blackboard Groups
- Blackboard and Turnitin Assignments
- Respondus Test Creation
- and more ...
We are also available for one-on-one consultations and meeting or departmental overviews. Contact the Blackboard Help Desk for more information at 619.594.3485 or bbhelp at sdsu.edu
Sign up Today at http://its.doattend.com
Fall 2013 Smart Classroom Listing
The Fall 2013 Smart Classroom listing is now available at: http://its.sdsu.edu/docs/SmartClassroomFall2013.pdf