Update January 2021:
The PS 130 Remodel has been completed! Please see the following 360 tour of the space as provided by Matterport:
Update February 2020:
Based on the feedback from the faculty focus groups below, we have the most current design rendering for this proposed active learning classroom. Thank you to all the faculty who assisted us in creating this first of its kind space at SDSU!
On April 22, 2019 more than 25 faculty and staff met within Physical Sciences, 130 (PS-130) to explore and envision a new classroom environment. Multiple technologies were used to bring the focus group participants closer to the future potential of the room. Below is a list of the focus group’s reactions to viewing virtual reality and large format 2-dimensional versions of 3D renderings.
Participants were excited to meet in PS-130 to share their thoughts and ideas, and a follow up forum for faculty stakeholders will occur on September 11, 2019. Please let us know if you want to attend!
- Faculty preferred fixed tables over flexible/mobile furniture
- Tables were the preference specifically because faculty did not want to lose instructional time to rearrange furniture in such a large space
- Furniture consistency was preferred over mixed-use tables, chairs, seating options, etc.
- Furniture and room infrastructure should accommodate charging ports for student devices
- A one to one ratio of student (small group) to screen/digital LCD is preferred
- Poor acoustics in the large space make it difficult to hear
Based on attendee feedback, ITS is prioritizing the following:
- Acoustics – ITS is working with an acoustical engineer to provide recommendations on acoustical treatments, and options for microphones at student/group tables so questions to the instructor and larger class discussions are audible.
- Power – Provide power sources throughout the room for student mobile devices and classroom technologies.
- Technology – Allow students to share their devices wirelessly to local LCDs.
- Furniture – Provide fixed table and movable chair options for stakeholders to consider at PS-130 faculty forum on September 11, 2019